|Before of vanity and sink top.|
|Removing the flooring.|
I used a Minwax Interior Wood Gel Stain in Coffee color. I did a lot of research about gel staining your cabinets. I spent half a day sanding every area of the doors and base and cleaned them all up ready to start staining in the morning. I first followed the directions on the can and wiped the stain on the wood, let it sit for two minutes, then wiped it off. It looked wrong, not bad, but not the look I was going for. I then did some more research. I learned that if you want the nice deep rich tones, you don't wipe the stain off! So the next day I tried again. I was doing the back of the doors first incase I screwed it up. I put the stain on in a steady layer and let it dry overnight, next morning I put on a second coat. This is exactly what I was looking for. I felt reenergized to keep going. Staining and sealing all the doors, drawers and base of the cabinet took five days with a sixth day for the final drying. In my opinion, it looked amazing. It is a real dark brown almost black, but not black. With the final seal coat it has a slight shine to it without being glossy. I couldn't have been happier with how it turned out.
|Dismantling vanity sink.|
|Second coat of gel stain.|
|Remove that popcorn!|
After the vanity was done, it was on to that horrible popcorn ceiling. I watched a YouTube video (you can watch it here too) and it looked too easy to be true. Well, start to very finish, it took us an hour to get rid of the horrible ceiling. I took a short video of hubby scraping it off below. In his defence, this was at the very beginning of his efforts and he got better and faster as the hour went on. I helped him at the end following him around with the shopvac as he scraped the edges. I felt like a dental assistant with the sucky stick vacuuming up everything. After scraping it all off, he spackled up the few gouges and poor mud and tape job that was done by the builders and waited until the morning to sand it all down. The one thing done right in this bathroom was the crown moulding on the ceiling. A fresh coat of semi-gloss white and they were done. Now what to paint the ceiling? We ended up using the same color as we had chose for the walls. It is a light beige with a peach undertone to it. It lightened up the bathroom and made the white crown moulding pop. Attached a new quiet fan and the ceiling was done in three days, including painting.
|Laying out the tiles.|
|New sink top.|
|New light switches.|
Below are some of the after pictures of our little guest bathroom. It took both of us 35 days to complete it, only being able to work on it after work and on the weekends. We finished it within hours of Easter guests arriving for dinner, and everybody had to go check it out. I am totally in love with the bathroom now, where before I would rather go upstairs.
Next up for our house remodeling projects is hubby's office which will be turning into an office/music room. I need to figure out the best storage solution for his growing vinyl collection. You can always see pictures of our progress before the blog posts come out by following us on Instagram.
|You can see the ceiling and new fan.|
|All the pretty decorations.|
Affiliate Link: If you do feel like you are in need of some remodeling help, Angie's List is always there to help you out along the way. If you need help you can click on the Angie's List affiliate link below to be directed to handymen & women in your area that can make your bathroom dreams come true too. Be sure to show them this article so they know what you are looking for!